PART 3.2

The Third Generation:


William B. Anglin (124), 1837 - 1886

William Bartram Anglin (124) was born in 1837 in Kingston, but must have spent his teen years and early manhood in his father's home in Kingston and Brewer's Mills.

For a time he was keeper of the toll gate on the road leading from Kingston. Later he had a sawmill business, joined by his brother Samuel (127), in Battersea. W.B. married Fanny Baker, whose family were of Quaker stock. She attended a Quaker boarding school between Picton and Bloomfield for a year or more about 1859.

In 1863, W.B. and his brother, Samuel, sold their sawmill to their cousin William J (112) and, in 1865, started one in Kingston at the foot of Wellington Street, where they had a large mill, lumber and wood yard, and ample water storage for logs. The Kingston Whig Standard of June 5, 19841 provided a description (which was a reprint of an article from the Daily News of April 29, 1865) of the sawmill at the time W. B. and Samuel operated it.

"The sawmill so long run by Mr. Waddell, now by Mr. W. B. Anglin, is in full operation at that part of the lower bay fronting 'Anglin's Cottages' and opposite the drawbridge of the branch railway. The mill is fitted up with a surface planer and a planer and matcher, each capable of turning out about 10,000 feet a day with assistance of three men. The planer can plane a board twenty-six inches wide. There is also a lumber slitting machine sizing lumber, making furring etc. These are all driven by one of Mair's twenty horse power engines. The mill is run in connection with the sawmill of the same owner at Battersea, whence the raw lumber is supplied. This mill is driven by water power, runs a five feet circular saw and turns out about 4000 feet a day; and a lath and picket mill with a small circular saw. About 6000 lath a day can be thrown off."

S. ANGLIN CO OFFICE, Bay at Wellington Sts, Kingston
photo 1969


The Kingston and Pembroke R.R., which started in 1875, ran from its station, now the tourist information centre in Confederation Park, in front of Kingston's city hall, through the property between the mill and the lumber yard office.

The yard and mill offices were located at the foot of Bay St., on the shores of the Cataraqui River, just north of the LaSalle Causeway, where the firm received shipments of lumber, coal, and later, fuel oil, by boat.

"Anglin's supplied coal to the Central Heating Plant in Barriefield, Strathcona Paper Mill, Kingston Psychiatric Hospital, Queen's Heating Plant and other local industries. The company shipped a quarter million tons a year."2

Since the company sold the property in the late 1980s and moved to Counter St (now John Counter Blvd.), on the north side of the city, the Cataraqui River bay in which they received their shipments has been named Anglin Bay.

When the Company closed down its lumber operation in 1979, The Kingston Whig Standard 3 gave some of the mill's history.

S. Anglin & Co business card, circa 1925

"... The end of the lumber business comes one year after the firm closed its planing mill and custom carpentry shop. At the time it was closed, the shop employed four men, ... . At the peak of its operation in the 1950s the carpentry shop employed between 60 to 70 workers. But Mr. Wade [F. Raymond Wade, General Manager] noted that custom work is extremely labor intensive, costs were high and so over the years the shop operation had to be reduced too.

"The lumber business changed considerably during the 100 years it was there. Originally, logs were floated down the Great Cataraqui River to the foot of Bay St. where they were sawed and planed. In later years Anglin buyers went to Northern Ontario to purchase lumber. In more recent years all stock was bought through brokers, and lumber sometimes came from as far away as British Columbia.

Exhibit at the Kingston Fair, 1925
"The Anglin company was founded in the 1860s and incorporated in 1923. At one time it owned the adjacent drydock, and had side interests in mica mining and in the house demolition business."

"The firm got into the heating business by way of the coal trade and at one time even logs were chopped up and sold as fuel. Coal ships used to unload cargo where now only a vacant lot remains at the end of Wellington St.

"As a prime supplier of both heating and industrial coal, Anglin once handled a quarter million tons a year and huge coal piles were still on the site as recently as 15 years ago.

"Interestingly enough, Mr. Wade noted, the firm still has coal customers. While it does not stock coal, orders are taken in the spring for shipment in the fall -- the volume now is around 1500 tons, 1000 tons of which go to heat area homes.

"The big switch to oil began around 1953, he said, with the demise of soft coal as an acceptable fuel for industry. Converters for home furnaces quickly followed and today Anglin is one of the largest oil and petroleum product suppliers in the region. ..."

S. Anglin Co., Ltd helps celebrate
Kingston's centenary, 1938


For a time W.B. boarded in Kingston. His wife may have remained in Battersea until after her parents moved to Portsmouth on February 14, 1865, with the younger children. In a letter, written later, she recalls, "The little girls had to be bundled into the sleigh", and that, "the snow was very deep". Her father remained in Portsmouth, where he ran another tannery for the rest of his active life. She did not move at once to Kingston with her husband and may have moved to the big house at Brewer's Mills. A letter that W.B. wrote to her on September 5, 1869, says that he would try to come up on the steamer 'Helen' on Saturday. Their two older children, Alfred (1241) and Nettie (1242), were probably born at Brewer's Mills. Then for a time the family lived in a rented house in Kingston. The assessment records at the city hall show that William Anglin was assessed, along with Alex McCabe, in St. Lawrence ward in 1873, lot 7, Barrie Street. However, George (1243) always said that the family home was then on Bagot Street and that he was born there. His birth date was August 23, 1871. Then the firm built a row of attached houses on a strip of land farthest up Bay Street on their property, and William B. and family occupied the end house next to Bay Street. Here Robert Whelpley (1244) and James Penrose (1245) were born in 1874 and 1876.

In 1873 W.B. and S. Anglin purchased four lots, #920-923 on the north west corner of Union and Albert Streets, two facing on Union Street and two facing on Albert Street, in the Herchmer Farm Subdivision. The property belonged to the Ordnance Department of the Federal Government and was on the outskirts of Kingston. It was purchased at a public auction for $830, with a down payment of $83 and nine equal annual payments with interest at 6%. Later, S. Anglin issued a quit claim deed to his brother William B. How soon the latter laid out the garden and built the house and moved into it is not certain, but it must have been about 1878, not earlier, as Bert remembered the move with workmen still completing the house. The story of life at Hedgewood [169 Union Street] is fully detailed in 'I Remember'4. Bert's description of the house is of interest.

HEDGEWOOD, 169 Union St, Kingston
photo August, 1963


""... It was solid brick, 2 1/2 stories, with a two story kitchen wing at the rear of the west half. The house was a centre hall plan with a generous vestibule and a wide hall and stairway and one large room on either side of the hall, each with a front bay window, fireplace, and side door, the door on the east leading to a large covered verandah. The front hall led, on the left of the stairway, through a green baize door to a cross back hall joining the two large rooms at the rear under the stair landing. The rear of the west room was walled off for a large pantry, later converted into a breakfast room where thereafter we ate most of our meals. This room was so narrow that Father had built for it a narrow ash extension table which we, [Bert's family], now use on the six foot verandah at our summer cottage. The large east room however, was furnished as a dining room with a rather massive walnut dining set taken over from a cousin who had to give up housekeeping. Other items of ornate and antique furnishings in the two living rooms included a two armed crystal glass chandelier hung in the centre of each room and holding two oil lamps, a small mahogany melodian, a gilt mantle clock, surmounted by the figure of a ploughman and protected by a curved glass cover, and a pair of silver double armed candlesticks, sometimes loaned for civic functions. ..."

Baby Florence (1246) was born and died there, only one year old, Edna (1247) was born in 1883, Alfred died there in 1882 and W.B. in 1886.

The fifth child was also a girl, Jane (125), usually called Jennie. An 1855 letter5 to her from her brother Robert, says, in part,

Jennie (Anglin) Williams (125), 1838 - 1911

"Business has been verey dull in Kingston this winter. It has been a verey hard winter on poor people. They could hardly live. Everything is verey dear at present and too all appearance will be dearer. Bread that we could buy last summer for five pence a loaf is now one shilling. Butter is one shilling and nine pence a pound and every thing in like proportion. All this is caused by the War that is now rageing against Russia by the English, French and Turks and God only knows when and where it will end."

A postscript to a letter6 dated June, 1856, written by Robert to his sisters Jennie and Hester, then in the United States, reads,

"Aunt Cecilia wants you to send her the latest pattern for a sleave of a silk dress."

William Williams (125), 1840 - 1922

Jennie married W. W. Williams, probably in the big house at Brewer's Mills, about the year 1869. He had been captain on the steamer 'City of Kingston', built at the Anglin Mill in Kingston especially for the Rideau Canal traffic. It proved too bulky for the canal, so its life was short. It was one of its ship boats that the K.U. Boys used on their first trips to their camp near Jones' Falls.

Mr. Williams then turned to teaching as principal of the public school at Seeley's Bay and was active in the choir and sunday school of the Methodist Church there, where for a time the Robert Anglin family worshipped. So Jennie and W.W. met frequently and eventually married. Jennie kept a millinery and dress-goods shop, and later, William added a wing and kept a general store, post office and telegraph office as an adjunct to the millinery shop. Here their two daughters were born and bred, and here, a few years later, the K.U. Boys came, a row of five miles, to buy supplies for their camp, and to visit the two lovely daughters, mostly on the hammocks under the trees on the lawn beside the store. On one of Bert's visits his uncle gave him a lesson in chopping wood which he practised from then on. Mr. Williams also had a fine tenor voice and had a wide repertoire of songs. One had a chorus ending, "... I could sing with joy or dance with glee, if I were as young as I used to be".

In the early years of the century, William Williams sold his Seeley's Bay store and the family moved to Smiths Falls where they and their nephew, Rob Van Luven (1222), established a frontage on five streets.

Hester Anglin (126), the next of Robert's children, married her first cousin John Anglin (113), third son of John (11), oldest of the four brothers. Accordingly, her record is reported as a part of the John Anglin branch of the big tree.

Samuel Anglin (127), 1842 - 1920

Samuel Anglin (127), the third son of Robert, was born in 1842 in Kingston and moved with the rest of the family to the Brewer's Mills home. He went into the saw-mill business with his older brother, William B. (124), at Battersea. It would appear that he did not at once move to Kingston when that business was sold, as a letter from William to his wife in 1869 speaks of his oldest brother, Robert, spending the evening with him in his boarding house, but makes no mention of Samuel. However, he must have joined him soon after, as he married a Kingston girl, Rebecca Harriet Phillips, in 1870, and raised a family of eight; three boys and five girls, all of whom married happily. The family was active in Sydenham Street United Church where Samuel was chairman of the board of stewards and treasurer for fifteen years.

Hallie (Phillips) Anglin, 1846 - 1921

Most of their married life was lived in a large three story stone house on the corner of Barrack and Wellington Streets, just an easy walk from the office, lumber and mill yard of the W.B. and S. Anglin Co. Here Sam and Hallie lived their full lives with their children.

MEAGHER HOUSE, Barrack at Wellington Sts, Kingston
photo 1969


This house was built in 1855 by John Meagher, of Napanee, one of the original brothers of Meagher Bros. Ltd., distillers, and purchased from him in 1876 by Samuel Anglin for $1700. In 1984 the Kingston Historical Society, in cooperation with Meagher's Distillery Ltd, unveiled a plaque at what is now called 'Meagher House'. This was the family home for Sam and Hallie until his death in 1920 and hers in 1921.

He was also active in public life, on the city council in1890, chairman of the public school board in 1886, and laid the corner stone of the new Central School in 1888. In 1988, for the one hundredth anniversary of the opening of the school, one of his grandsons, Don McCuaig (12783), presented to the school the engraved silver trowel which his grandfather had used in the laying of the cornerstone. It is proudly displayed in one of the Frontenac County Schools Museum showcases in Robert Meek Public School on Bagot Street in Kingston.

Letter to Sam Anglin signed by Sir John A. Macdonald,
dated February 25, 1887, sent from Earnscliffe, Ottawa
photo provided by David Anderson (1272111) in January, 2011

enlarge . . . enlarge

An article7 from the Kingston paper of January 8, 1887 reads,

"Recently, Mr Samuel Anglin was elected the alderman for Cataraqui. He was born in Kingston forty-five years ago in a building on the corner of Wellington and Brock Streets. He is the son of the late Robert Anglin, who, while residing here, kept a large boot and shoe store. Mr Sam Anglin, when a young man, established a saw mill at Battersea and ran it for seven years. This field being not large enough, he moved to Kingston, and with his brother William began business at the north end of Wellington Street where he has been located for twenty-five years. He had not a dollar when he began business, but attention and industry assured him success, and now he is one of Kingston's most respected merchants.

"Mr Anglin served ten years on the Public School Board, one as its chairman. No Trustee takes more interest in the schools than he does, which fact indicates that he will make an excellent alderman.

"Mr. Anglin's father and John A. Macdonald ran in Ward 4 in 1844. The former was elected councillor and the latter alderman. They were opposed by Colonel Jackson and R. M. Rose. Mr Anglin remained a councillor until Kingston was made a city in 1846, when he was elected councillor for Cataraqui Ward, and afterwards alderman. He was very witty and was known as the 'Prime Minister' because he generally had a large following. On one occasion a well known Scotchman arose in the Council and suggested that a certain report be laid over for two weeks so that it could be given further thought. Instantly, Mr Anglin was on his feet claiming that it would be an outrage to make twenty Irishmen wait two weeks for a Scotchman to make up his mind. If Mr Anglin follows in the footsteps of his father he will be a credit to this City."

family outing aboard the 'HALLIE'
photo circa 1910


Sam and Hallie Anglin had the satisfaction of seeing all eight children married and Frank (1271) and Charles (1277) join their father in the business. In 1893, a few years after his brother William's (124) death, Sam bought out his share and organized the business under the firm name of S. Anglin and Sons. The firm continued under the same name, although, in February, 1989 they moved to a new location on Counter St (now John Counter Blvd.) where they served only fuel oil, gasoline, diesel fuel, natural gas, and liquid propane. At that point they no longer sold coal or lumber.

SAMUEL ANGLIN FAMILY (on the occasion of their 25th wedding anniversary, Sept 1, 1895)
back row (l to r) Harriet, William, Charles, Frances, Frank
front row (l to r) Gertrude, Harriet, Jennie, Samuel, Eveline
photo provided by Doris Anglin (12772)


The Anglin Fuels firm was sold in 1998 to another Kingston heating firm called Tri-Heat Services. After more than 130 years in business in Kingston there was no longer an Anglin associated with Anglin Fuels. Ron Anglin (127714), great grandson of Samuel, was the last family member to be a part of the business established in 1865 as W.B. and S. Anglin Co. After the firm became Triheat-Anglin Energy Supply Company Ron left the company to manage Frontenac Fuels, a division of Universal Terminals, Inc, of Eastern Ontario.

A further consolidation of Kingston's fuel and heating companies occurred in August of 2008 when Rosen Heating and Cooling, another long-time Kingston provider of fuel and heating services, bought out Triheat-Anglin. Subsequently, the business continued to operate under the name Rosen Triheat Anglin, continuing the Anglin name, since 1865, in the lumber, fuel and heating business in Kingston.

The Third Generation: Samuel's (13) Children

Samuel Anglin (13) and Cecilia had three children, John (131), Robert (132) and Katharine (Kate, 133) who, in due course, all married.

John Anglin (131) married Minnie Bacon in Toronto and lived for a time, 1905 to 1914 at 324 Brunswick Avenue, raising a family of four; Harriet Cecilia (1312), Arthur (1313), Trafford (1315) and Marjorie (1316). The only information I have about this family is that Trafford signed up for First World War service in September of 19148.

The second son, Robert Steven Anglin (132), graduated in medicine from Queen's in 1882 and lived in Springfield, Nebraska between 1883 and 1891. He married twice - - first to Minnie Roberts, and second to May Peake, a nurse from Omaha, Nebraska. He practised as a throat and ear specialist in Omaha for some years, where he died in January 1927 after a long illness. He had four children, Robert Steven (1321) in 1918 , Richard Trafford (1322) in 1920, Donald (1323) in 1922 and Leslie May (1324) in 1923.

Kate Anglin (133) married Osborne Swales and had children Osborne (1331), Olive (1332), George (1333) and Osborne (1334).

The Third Generation: Maryann's (14) Children

Fanny Waterman (144) married Omar Jackson Kinsley and had a daughter, Mary L. Kinsley (1441) and a son Omar Jackson Kinsley (1442). US Census data from 1880 show Fanny and Omar, with two children, living in Philadelphia County, PA. The 1920 Census data show their daughter as Mary South, still living with them, along with her daughter, Ethel.

The death notice for Humphrey Waterman (145) appeared in the Joplin, MO News Herald of June 22, 1925. The report of his death indicated:

"Mr Waterman had been in ill health for nearly five years, but lately had appeared to be much better. . .

"Mr Waterman had resided here for a few years prior to 1889 and had resided here since returning in 1901. He served in the commissary department during the civil war. He was born, August 4, 1845, in Philadelphia. For several years he has been interested in the Waterman gardens at his home on East Seventh street.

"He was a member of the First Congregational Church, of which he was senior deacon. Shortly after his health began to fail he was named honorary deacon for life."

"Surviving Mr. Waterman are his wife, Mrs Ida Waterman; one son, Hilbern Waterman; and one daughter, Miss Myrtle Waterman, all at home; five sisters and three brothers."

Ida Waterman (147) married Robert Clayborne and had two sons, Robert (1471) and Walter (1472). The family lived in Northfield and Mrs. Clayborne for some years sent greetings to the family reunions.

The Third Generation: William's (15) Children

'Annie' Anglin (152), 1853 - 1879

William Anglin (15) and his wife, Mary, had two daughters, Mary Frances (151), who lived only two months following her birth in 1850, and Annabella 'Annie' Jane (152).

Annie was born in 1853. On July 1, 1878, while watching a fireworks display in the Cricket Field from the roof of McRossie's house (later Dr Third's residence), she contracted a severe cold which she was unable to shake off. During the winter of 1878-79 she developed pulmonary tuberculosis from it and died on April 18, 1879.

Then came two sons, William Gardiner Anglin9 (153), in 1856, and James Vickers Anglin (154), in 1860. Both sons took the medical course at Queen's University in Kingston when the medical school was located on Princess St. and Dr. Fife Fowler was its director. W.G. graduated with an MD and CM (master of surgery) in 1883, winning the silver medal for excellence in the subjects of the final examination. His younger brother, J.V., obtained his BA in 1883 and his MD and CM in 1888, with outstanding results -- first in surgery, tied for first in obstetrics, eighth in medical jurisprudence, and was awarded the silver medal in medicine.

Personal recollections10, written in 1928 by William Gardiner, following his retirement as Surgeon to the Kingston Penitentiary, indicated:

Dr William G. Anglin (153), 1856 - 1934

"My first vivid recollection of the old roughcast dwelling at 56 Earl St with the large yard in the rear was the billeting of half a dozen redcoats in our home owing to the Fenian Raid in 1866. I watched eagerly their cleaning of their white belts, and polishing their bayonets, and listening to their conversation. We were all very excited over the possible conflict as the Fenians were expected to attack Kingston."

Harriet (Gould) Anglin, 1860 - 1936

Several sections in The 1996 Canadian Encyclopedia Plus 11 give the background history associated with the Fenian Raid referred to in W.G.'s recollections:

"In 1854 fears [of a threatened war with the United States] subsided as British North America and the United States were linked by a reciprocity treaty, but they returned suddenly with the American Civil War, 1861-65. Northern Americans resented what they felt was Britain's pro-Southern sympathy. British North America and the United States managed to avoid military confrontation, but the end of the war led to new tensions, because it was thought that the North might take revenge against Britain, and because Fenians were organizing to invade British North America. The Fenian Raids of 1866 failed, but spurred British North America toward Confederation the following year.

"Fenians [were] members of a movement initiated in 1857 by Irish-Americans to secure Irish independence from Britain. Its titular chief, James Stephens, organized an underground movement in Ireland with the aid of funds collected by his American deputy, John O'Mahony. The American wing emerged as a powerful force, and by the end of 1865 the Fenians had nearly $500,000 and about 10,000 American Civil War veterans organized in military clubs. At this time they split into two factions, one led by O'Mahony, favouring an uprising in Ireland, and another led by William Roberts, intent on invading Canada. A small group of Canadian Fenians was headed initially by Michael Murphy of Toronto, who supported the O'Mahony wing. When it became obvious that there was to be no immediate uprising in Ireland, O'Mahony launched a raid against the New Brunswick frontier in April 1866. Murphy was summoned to join O'Mahony's forces by cipher telegram, but the telegram was intercepted and deciphered, bringing about his arrest in Cornwall. The raid collapsed and its only lasting consequence was to turn opinion in the Maritimes in favour of Confederation.

"Confederation, the subsequent withdrawal of British garrisons, and conflicts in Europe impelled Britain and Canada to seek settlement of outstanding differences with the Americans in the 1871 Treaty of Washington. Prime Minister Sir John A. Macdonald, a member of the British negotiating team, grumbled about the terms, but the treaty was useful to Canada in that the United States, through its signature, acknowledged the new nation to its north. Thereafter, Canada's concern about the American military threat diminished rapidly. There were fears of American interference as Canada established sovereignty over the North-West, but by the late 1890s both nations looked back at three decades of remarkably little conflict."

Further on in his personal recollections12, W. G. says,

"... The wood contract ceased in 1876, and being unable to study, at the request of Captain Patterson of the propeller, 'Africa', in the spring of 1876, I went on the 'Africa' plying between Montreal and Toronto with package freight, and assisted the Captain in the position of purser. Captain Patterson lived on the corner of Union and Albert Streets, just opposite William B. Anglin's [124] house (Penrose's father) and he evidently was fond of me and suggested that sailing with him would be good for my health. About this time I was friendly with George and Harry Richardson and was frequently at the house on Stuart St where I met Hattie Gould, Mrs Richardson's niece, who had been living with her Aunt since she was about 6 years of age. She was four years younger than I, and we were apparently mutually attracted to each other. (We were married in 1886). I well remember Hattie Gould and G. Y. Chown being passengers on the Africa in the summer of 1876 from Kingston to Toronto, also Rev. E. A. Chown and wife.

"While in Montreal harbour we saw at an opposite pier a large oceangoing sailing vessel. The 'Lake Michigan' of the Beaver Line, and while we were admiring her fine lines and stately masts, Captain Patterson said, 'Willie, I believe an ocean voyage would be just the thing for you. Let's go over and see what we can do about it'. We saw Captain Daniel Lamont and found he was willing. Then went to the Company's office and they agreed to give me a return ticket for Eighty Dollars ($80.00). Montreal to Glasgow and return, and I was to be the only passenger. I came home with the news, and father and mother, being only too anxious to do anything to help me recover, [from 'sunstroke', suffered in the summer of 1875, and resulting persistent headaches and vomiting], agreed to my going, and on the 10th of August, 1876, I started on my first ocean voyage."

His LOG BOOK13 of his trip to Ireland in 1876-77 as the only passenger aboard the 880-ton iron clipper ship 'Lake Michigan' describes the trip down the St Lawrence River through the rapids to Montreal, prior to boarding the 'Lake Michigan', as follows:

"The run down was very pleasant and running the rapids was very exciting, drawing from the passengers exclamations of wonder and delight. Before shooting the Lachine rapids we took on board the Indian pilot, Baptiste Delisle, a noble looking fellow with an eye like an eagle's. These rapids are the most dangerous in the St. Lawrence, the rocks showing up in several places and the wild water surging and roaring over them. It needs a quick eye and a powerful arm at the helm to ensure safety, but one feels quite safe after taking a glance at the countenance of the Indian who is assisted at the wheel by three able men."

His personal recollections14 document several incidents related to the twenty-four day crossing from Montreal to Glasgow and then continue after his arrival in Ireland on September 12, 1876,

"My father had spoken to me about going to Ireland to see Bandon, Co. Cork, where he was born. In some way I came to find a family by the name of McDermott, living in Glasgow, who were relatives of the Anglins in Cork, and so I went by Steamer from Glasgow to Dublin, and after being entertained by a Mr Jamieson, a watchmaker on Sackville St, Dublin, an old friend of my father's, I went by train to Cork, and was warmly welcomed by a host of relatives - Anglins, Dukes, Waughs, etc., - and finally found myself residing with a widow and her family of seven, five girls and two boys, the eldest girl being about 17 years old.

"This widow, whose husband had recently deceased, was Annie Waugh (224), nee Duke, and her mother was an Anglin [Mary Anne Anglin (22)]. Her husband had been prosperous in business -- shipping calves and pigs to Plymouth, Bristol and London on a large scale, and also had a large corner stall in the Grand Parade Market where he sold veal and pork. Just opposite to this stall was another operated by Frank Duke (22a), who sold beef and mutton (a brother of Mrs Waugh).

"... Uncle Samuel Anglin (25) was in business on a large scale as a manufacturer and exporter of Bacon, and had a large establishment on the hill about half a mile above Mrs Waugh's yards. He very much resembled my father in appearance and manner of speaking. Had several sons - one a professor in Queen's College, Cork, and the others employed in the business."

William Gardiner Anglin (153), 1856 - 1934

On his return to Canada in 1877 W. G. did not return to school, but assisted his father in the Bursar's office at Rockwood Hospital. The family moved back to the City in 1878, living in a brick house on Sydenham St adjoining Sydenham St Church. At this time he decided that his lifework would be the study of medicine so, in October of 1879, he walked with fear and trembling into Dr Fife Fowler's office in the Medical Building on Princess St, just below King St, and registered for medical school. The Faculty of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons was then distinct from Queen's University. Later on, in Principal Grant's time, it again became affiliated with the University, during W.G.'s four-year course. His cousin, Bob, (R. S. Anglin, 132) received his medical degree from Queen's in 1884.

Following graduation, Dr. W.G. spent eighteen months in post graduate and house-surgeon work in Edinburgh, then went to London where he secured his M.R.C.S. He returned to Kingston in the fall of 1885 where he lectured for a session in surgery at the Women's Medical College and the following year was taken on the staff of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons at Queen's. A year later he became Professor of Pathology and finally head of the department of Clinical Surgery. At that time women in medicine went to a separate Women's Medical College because Queen's would not accept women into their medical school. It is interesting to note that it was not until after WWII that Queen's decided -- not by their own choice, but after being somewhat strong armed into it by the government of the day -- to annually admit a few women into their medical school, and one of those admissions was Dr W. G.'s granddaughter, Mary Horsey (15351), in the mid-1950s.

An addition to his parents' home at 52 Earl Street in Kingston provided both office and home, and here he brought his bride, Harriet Eva Gould, in 1886. (This home, now, [1995], has six apartment units in the attached row from 52-56 Earl St; still has the name 'Dr Anglin' embossed in the upper portion of the glass of the front window; has had its exterior completely restored; and has had its interior refurnished with mid-nineteenth century furniture, paintings, floor coverings, etc. by its current owner, Gerald Findley.)

July 6, 2016: Dr. W.G. Anglin's gr-granddaughters, Margaret (153422) and Lucy (153424),
in front of 52 Earl St, still showing his name in the front window, 130 years later


Dr. W. G. became the Hedgewood family doctor after Dr. Lavell was appointed Superintendent of the Penitentiary. While he was a general practitioner, he did a great deal of surgery and was head of the Department of Surgery at Queen's University for some years before he signed up on May 1 and went overseas in 191515, at age 50. However, after an attack of Malta fever with complications, he returned home in December, 1916. During 1918 and 1919 he served as examiner on the Canadian Pensions Board, and in 1920 was appointed physician and surgeon for Kingston Penitentiary until his retirement in 1928.

The second son of William and Mary Anglin, was James Vickers Anglin (154), born 1860. The two boys, W. G. and J. V. were given middle names from their maternal grandparents, Francis Gardiner and Mary Vickers. Two of their mother's sisters, Sarah and Elizabeth Gardiner married two of the Chown brothers, Samuel and Arthur, from the family of Kingston's long-time Chown Hardware, Ltd.

James Vickers Anglin (154), 1860 - 1937

In 1891 J. V. married Clara Ellen Ives who was born in 1868 in Coaticook, Quebec, the daughter of Judge Ives, a brother of the Ives of Currier and Ives, New York. Following his graduation in Medicine in 1887 J.V., like his brother before him, did postgraduate work in Edinburgh and in 1891 he came from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to join the staff of Verdun Asylum, Montreal where he was Assistant Medical Superintendent. Following this, he was appointed the Superintendent of the Lancaster Heights Provincial Mental Hospital in St John, New Brunswick, in 1904, until his retirement in 1934. During his career he had been vice-president of the Maritime Medical Association, provincial secretary of the Canadian Medical Association, president of the American Psychiatric Society, and president of the Canadian Rotary Club. In addition, he was, for a period, a surgeon in the 62nd regiment with the rank of captain. His wife, Clara, attended the Anglin Reunion held at the Pine Grove Church in 1936. J.V. died in Saint John in 1937, and Clara in 1946.

The Third Generation: William's (21) Children

William Anglin (21) and his wife, Elizabeth had six children.

William Anglin (211), after his marriage to Margaret Dunne in 1864, moved with his family from Ireland to Australia between 1866 and 1869.

Many of his descendants are resident in Australia and their inter-relationships are being tracked by Robert Anglin (21464) of Toronto, who has established contacts with some of the Australian families and is maintaining a record of the descendants of his great-grandfather, William (21).

John Anglin (214), 1850 - 1915
photo 1914


May (Waugh) Anglin, 1852 - 1915
photo 1914


John Anglin (214) married Mary Jane 'May' Waugh in 1877 and together they lived in a large Georgian home they named 'Mount Nebo' on Blarney Road on the crest of a hill overlooking Cork. It would have been a good daily workout to climb the streets to their home. He was a successful agent for the Liverpool, London and Globe Insurance Company. The home declined over the years but is still there, serving now as a nunnery, with its imposing view of the city below.

Mary Jane's family were descended from Huguenots driven out of France. A prominent ancestor of hers is buried in the Church of Ireland Cathedral in Cork.

Members of the Waugh and Anglin families built the only Methodist church in Cork in the late 1800s. Bronze plaques there record some of the donors.

The University of Massachusetts Amherst, Libraries Special Collections & University Archives hosts a collection called Anglin Family Papers, 1874-195516 which documents some of the history of John amd Mary Jane Anglin and their eight children, seven of whom emigrated to Canada and the United States beginning in 1903 with brothers Will and Sydney coming to Canada. The papers in this collection outline a significant portion of the history of this family.

MOUNT NEBO, photo provided by Bob Anglin (21464)

The Third Generation: Mary Anne's (22) Children

Mary Anne and John Duke had 13 children. Their fourth child, Annie Duke (224), married into the Waugh family and had seven children, five girls and two boys. William Anglin (153), having come to Ireland from Canada in August, 1876, lived with this family during his time visiting and working in Ireland until September, 1877. Annie had been recently widowed and William helped out in the family's prosperous business shipping calves and pigs to Plymouth, Bristol and London, and running a large corner stall in the Grand Parade Market where they sold veal and pork. In addition William served for a time as a buyer for the business, travelling to the Fairs to purchase pigs. While there, William had opportunities to visit London, the lakes of Killarney, and the Blarney Castle which was only five miles from Cork.

[previous] ----- [next]


1. The Kingston Whig Standard, June 5, 1984.

2. ibid, June 5, 1984.

3. ibid, July 18, 1979.

4. 'I Remember', unpublished, undated document by R. W. Anglin (1244), circa 1955. A copy was given to Bill Anglin By Essie Boston.

5. The original letter, dated April 29, 1855, from Robert to Jane is in the possession of Bill Anglin.

6. The original letter, dated June, 1856, from Robert (123) to his sisters, Jane (125) and Hester (126), is in the possession of Bill Anglin.

7. The Daily British Whig, January 8, 1887.

8. His enlistment papers are viewable at the Library and Archives Canada website listing the "Soldiers of the First World War".

9. His enlistment papers are viewable at the Library and Archives Canada website listing the "Soldiers of the First World War".

10. Personal recollections written by W. G. Anglin (153), 1928, unpublished. A copy was given to Bill Anglin by Tom Anglin (15342) in 1993.

11. The 1996 Canadian Encyclopedia Plus, McLelland & Stewart, Inc. 1995 (CD-ROM version)

12. Personal recollections written by W. G. Anglin (153), 1928, unpublished.

13. MY LOG BOOK, W. G. Anglin (153), 1877, unpublished. A copy was given to Bill Anglin by Tom Anglin (15342) in 1993.

14. Personal recollections written by W. G. Anglin (153), 1928, unpublished.

15. His enlistment papers are viewable at the Library and Archives Canada website listing the "Soldiers of the First World War".

16. Anglin Family Papers, 1874-1955 from The University of Massachusetts Amherst, Libraries Special Collections & University Archives.