PART 4.1

The Fourth Generation

The Fourth Generation: John Anglin's (11) Grandchildren

John Anglin (1121), 1866 - 1936

The oldest son of William J. Anglin (112) and Sarah was John Anglin (1121), born in 1866, died, 1936, married 1894 Gertrude Taber, born in 1866, died in 1926. They had a farm outside of Battersea and raised a family of four.

Bay Anglin (1122), 1867 - 1957

Their second son was William Woodbury 'Bay' Anglin (1122), born in 1867 and married in 1900 to Isabelle Farquhar. A poem which he wrote on the occasion of the installation of a bell and tower in the Battersea United Church, a gift of John Bruyiere of Florida in memory of his father-in-law, Henry Van Luven, is worth quoting here:

"It was in late November
Of Nineteen twenty-one
Father and I walked to the church
As we had so often done.

In those far gone days of boyhood Ere I so far did roam Away from my native village Away from my home sweet home.

As we were passing Sidney's house The Bell rang loud and clear For the first time on Sunday morn So that all worshippers could hear.

There in the splendid new Tower Stood Anderson Knapp with pride Ringing the bell John Bruyiere gave In memory of his young bride.

Henry Van Luven her father's Memory to perpetuate Was the name inscribed thereon Fitting and appropriate.

For he it was the first did come A veteran of Lundy's Lane And here he built his mills and home And gave Battersea its name.

His name with others blended By ties so hard to sever Shall be sacred to the people Of Battersea forever."1

Bay Anglin and Isabelle Farquhar
wedding photo, September 1900


An article2 in The Kingston Whig Standard of December 2, 1949 reads:

"William W. Anglin, 82, a former resident of Battersea, one of two CPR telegraph operators who first flashed the news of the death of Sir John A. Macdonald, Prime Minister of Canada, across Canada on June 6, 1891, is visiting his daughter, Mrs. J. E. Horton, 300 College St., Kingston.

"Mr. Anglin and his brother, Charles H. Anglin, who have lived on Manitoulin Island for many years, arrived in the city last week. Charles Anglin is leaving to spend the winter in New Braunfels, Texas, while his elder brother William, will remain in Kingston. William Anglin will celebrate his 82nd birthday on Dec. 13. Charles was 80 on Nov. 21.

"The brothers are sons of the late Mr. and Mrs W. J. Anglin of Battersea. Their father was postmaster at Battersea for 60 years and died in 1926.

"Speaking of the death of Sir John A. Macdonald, Mr. Anglin said he was on duty in the House of Commons the night that Sir John A. died. 'Jack Cooney and I were the two operators on duty. Half-hourly bulletins had been issued on the condition of Sir John, who had been ill for some time. When the bulletin of his death reached us, we immediately transmitted it to all parts of the world. The CPR Telegraph Company had a branch station set up at the gate near the home of Sir John and the messages were sent from this substation to the House of Commons.'

"Mr Anglin went to Montreal in 1887 to learn telegraphy. 'I was later sent to the House of Commons and remained there for a short time. I decided to enter the ministry of the Methodist Church and went to Albert College. My health failed, and I then decided to take up farming on Manitoulin Island, going there in 1914,' Mr. Anglin said.

"For many years the brothers operated large farms and specialized in cattle. The farms are now being operated by the two sons of the elder brother."

He entered the Methodist Ministry and served in four charges before ordination in 1899 and in eight charges after. He superannuated in 1917 and lived and farmed in Mindemoya, where he was also a notary public for years, and Kingston until his death in 1957. His wife predeceased him in 1947.

Charles Anglin (1123), 1869 - 1967

Their third son was Charles Henry Anglin (1123), born in 1869, who, after farming until 1928 in the Battersea area, ran a farm for years near Mindemoya on Manitoulin Island. In 1961, a hale and hearty retired farmer at age 92, he still worked in his garden and occasionally cut his own firewood. Prior to his death in 1967, at age 98, he had lived with a nephew, Farquhar Anglin, on the Island.

The fourth son, Samuel Might Anglin (1124), born in 1871 and named after the Rev. Samuel Might of the Battersea Wesleyan Methodist Church, obtained a B.A. from Queen's in 1905. He was very musical and led a large choir in Bridge St. Methodist Church, Belleville, and taught music and German in Albert College. He died in Belleville in 1945.

W.J. (112) and Sarah's daughter, Nellie Anglin (1125), was postmistress in the village of Battersea until 1930 when she sold her father's store to Hammond Keeler as a residence. After the deaths of their parents Nellie and Elizabeth (1126) went to Belleville to live with their brother Samuel until his death. Elizabeth died in 1952 and Nellie in 1961.

The oldest and the fourth children of cousins John (113) and Hester Anglin (126) were daughters, Arletta (1131), born 1869, and Sara (1134) in 1877. Neither married and they lived together after leaving their father's home. For a time they kept house for a brother who was running the north farm. Bert Anglin (1244) remembered visiting them there one summer and watching Arletta making butter. She left the salt out of a small portion to please his fancy. Years later, after their father's death in 1922, the two sisters lived at Sydenham near their cousin Frank (1234), second son of Robert (123), and here, again, Bert called on them on one of his Inspectoral visits for the Ontario Department of Education. Arletta was well informed on the history of the Anglins and had some records from her parents from which, in a large part, the beginnings of this Anglin Story were drafted by Bert. Arletta died in 1954. Sarah then lived with a niece, Essie (11322), in Kingston, until her death in 1964.

'Annie' (Ellis) Anglin, 1877 - 1951, and Edward Anglin (1132), 1871 - 1955

The oldest son of John and Hester was Edward Duke Anglin (1132), born in 1871, died 1955, who in 1901 married Hannah (Annie) Ellis who died in 1951. He farmed his father's farm on which they raised eight children; three sons and five daughters.

There were three further sons of John and Hester Anglin: Robert Anglin (1133) born in 1873 and died in 1884; John Alexander Anglin (1135), born in 1879 and married in 1908 to Florence Hall, born in 1881 and died in 1919. They lived at Eldorado, Ontario.

The youngest son was William Garfield Anglin (1136), born in 1881 and married twice, first to Anne Conlin who died in 1912 and then to Ethel Lett. They had an adopted son, Hubert, and in later years, lived in Delta. After his father's death in 1922 he moved to John Dillon's farm near Brewer's Mills, where he followed mixed farming and kept 100 to 125 colonies of bees as a sideline.

Thomas Anglin (119) and Elizabeth had five children. Roy (1191) was born in 1892 and died in 1907.

Robert Leonard Anglin (1192) married Bertha Elizabeth Lloyd in 1918 and ran a small diversified farm at Gananoque.

Mabel Elizabeth Anglin (1193), a school teacher in the Brewer's Mills area, in 1919 married Lester Richard Lloyd, a native of Gananoque and a younger brother of her brother Leonard's wife Bertha, shortly after his return from overseas service in the First World War.

A story3 written by Mabel about 1960 describes the first car ride she and Lester had ever had:

(l to r, standing) Lawrence, Marian, Lester (1193),
Mabel, Keith; (sitting) Evan, Philip
photo circa 1940


"This is the story of Frank Anglin [1234] of Sydenham and his first car, and Lester's and my first car ride.

"This happened about fifty years ago (circa 1910). Frank bought his first car, an Overland, second hand, from Dr. Connell of Kingston and drove it home one Saturday in July. He knew how to start and stop it. He got along fine as the road was fairly good and straight, and [he] was very proud of his nice shiny black automobile. So proud, in fact, that the next day being Sunday, he suggested that we all go for a drive. Frank's sister Lillian was with him at that time (summer) at Brewer's Mills where Frank had a grist mill, a saw mill, a cheese box factory as well as a farm and a Post Office. The next morning dawned clear and bright so we packed a lunch and started off. We chose the road through Seeley's Bay and decided to go in to Jones' Falls, a very pretty spot in summer. This is a scenic road but anyone who remembers it before our present fine highways will remember it for its hills and turns and the crooked S.

"Frank had not needed to change gears much in driving to Brewer's Mills so did not understand how to handle the car on the hills. If the hill was steep he found he could not climb it so would have to back down and start again in low gear, and of course he made it to the top all right. The car stalled often and had to be cranked, which was Lester's job. He'd put the stones under the back wheels, run around and crank the car, run back, pick up the stones, and hop in while the car was climbing the hill.

"But some of the hills were crooked as well as steep and a bit difficult to back down so they came up with an idea. Lester was to keep on hand some good sized stones and also keep the car door open and at the right moment hop out and put the stones behind the back wheels, then Frank would change gears and away he'd go again. We got into Jones' Falls where we planned to eat lunch but memories of those hills urged us on, and we did not take time to eat.

"We started on again through the Burnt Hills, Keelerville and Battersea - a hillier road you never saw. The farmers in that back country were in the hay fields and they stopped their work to watch this snorting monster go up the hills. We stopped 3 or 4 times to put water in the radiator, once at Jack Anglin's at Keelerville. We were getting along faster now, for Lester was pretty handy with the stones and Frank was getting more used to the business of driving a car. He knocked a cow down on a hill near Battersea but she got up and seemed none the worse.

"We finally reached home about 7 p.m. - had no lunch all day. Frank got out of that car and got on to the couch where he lay down exhausted. We didn't any of us talk to him for a little while. We must have covered nearly 50 miles and were away 8 or 9 hours. It was a good day and one to remember."

Lester Lloyd and Mabel farmed for 25 years near Brewer's Mills, operated a general store in Newboro from 1944 to 1952 and then moved into Kingston in 1953. While living on William St. they operated a home for university students.

Sadie Anglin (1194), was born in 1897 in Brewer's Mills and, after attending school in that area, went to Peterborough Normal School, graduating in 1918. Before her marriage she taught school at Desert Lake, Ontario and Macoun, Saskatchewan. She married Allan Templeton Brown, an apiarist, of Peterborough in 1923 and spent her remaining life there, providing a boarding home for numerous student teachers over periods totalling several decades.

Sam and Irene Anglin (1195)
55th wedding anniversary, 1982


Samuel Anglin (1195), the youngest child of Thomas and Eliza, married Irene Margaret Elliott and lived at Brewer's Mills on his father's farm, which he operated from 1927, until he turned it over to his son, Graham in 1960. He had had a new house built next door to the old farmhouse where he and his wife resided until just a few days before his death in 1985. He was active in church and community affairs and a generous supporter of the Canadian Association for Community Living. In his later years his good health enabled him to travel widely. In April of 1985 he and his wife made the last of several trips to Arizona to visit their nephew Donald (11922), a successful dairy farmer in Phoenix for over 30 years.

He was a strong family supporter, having attended all 32 of the family reunions held, from the first one in 1932 on the Anglin Family farm at Brewer's Mills, attended by 93 people, to the one held in 1985 at Landon's Bay near Gananoque.

First Family Reunion, 1932
at Brewers Mills


The reunions were held annually on Labour Day from 1932 until 1941. In 1942 the decision was made to cancel the reunions for the duration of the Second World War. The practice of an annual reunion was begun again in 1947 at the Pine Grove Church grounds on September 1 of that year.

The reunion planned for Labour Day 1952 was cancelled at the last moment because of the polio epidemic which was widespread that summer. Following the 1952 cancellation the reunions were held every two years and in 1957 the date was changed from Labour Day to Civic Holiday and the location from Pine Grove Church to Lake Ontario Park in Kingston.

In 1977 the venue was changed again to Mallorytown Landing Park and in 1979 the date for the reunion was changed to the last Saturday in June. From 1981 to 2001 the reunion location was Landon's Bay Vacation Centre, east of Gananoque on the Thousand Island Parkway. When the planning committee for the 2003 reunion met in early 2003 there was long discussion about the feasibility of continuing to hold the Reunions. In looking at the attendance list from 2001 it was discovered that, from among the 26 attendees, there were only six people who were not, in some way or other, associated directly with the planning committee. In addition, the per person cost to rent the location for the day's event had become prohibitive. As a result, the decision was made to cancel future reunions and perhaps consider holding them every five years.

Turn-outs for the reunions' pot-luck dinners have, in general, ranged from 40 to about 90 family members, with some families making a concerted effort to have representation at each reunion. However, attendance in the late 1990s and early 2000s dropped off significantly.

At the 1936 reunion at Pine Grove Church three of the 1936 babies, William Gordon Anglin (123323), Graham Elliott Anglin (11952) and Philip Thomas Lloyd (11935) were christened by Rev. Hugh McCuaig (1278). Twenty nine years later, in 1965, at the reunion at Lake Ontario Park, William Gordon's son Richard Walker Anglin (1233234) and his first cousin, Robert Craig Anglin (1233224) were christened by Rev. Barclay Warren (11324).

The Fourth Generation: Robert's (12) Grandchildren

On the farm at Battersea, Eliza (122) and Christopher Van Luven raised four children, Frederick William Van Luven (1221), Robert Anglin Van Luven (1222), Hannah Hartman Van Luven (1223), and Charles Morley Van Luven(1224). Hannah and Morley remained on the farm with their parents, even after Fred and Rob left to enter the business world.

Fred Van Luven (1221), 1863 - 1941

After the deaths of his parents and of Hannah, Morley moved into Kingston where he lived until his death in 1956. The parents, Hannah and Morley are all buried in the Van Luven cemetery nearby which, for a time, was sadly neglected until Dorothy, Frederick's daughter, was able to arrange for its care.

Rob Van Luven (1222), 1863 - 1940

Fred (1221) and Rob Van Luven (1222) both became, in turn, travellers for the Crothers Biscuit Company of Kingston, and lived at Hedgewood, on Union Street, when so employed. Fred married Margaret Dolmage in 1896, and Rob married Lena Poole a few years later. In the early years, Rob joined his uncle, William Williams, in running a general store in Smiths Falls. Fred for a time owned a fruit farm in the Niagara District and then moved to the western suburbs of Hamilton and later joined the firm of Williams and Van Luven in Smiths Falls. Here both brothers died, Rob in 1940 and Fred in 1941. Rob's wife Lena died in the late twenties, and Fred's wife, Margaret, in 1948. As noted earlier, Fred turned Liberal with his grandfather. He became a frequent contributor to the Toronto Globe advocating Liberal policies. Rob had no family, but Fred left a daughter, Dorothy (12211), and a son Wilfred (12212).

Morley (1224), then the only son on the farm of his parents, Eliza and Christopher, attended the Kingston Model School, taught for a time in a local school, and spoke of training a girl pupil to be his future wife. However, he never married.

[previous] ----- [next]


1. pg 32, Historical Battersea, Women's Institute, Battersea Branch, Printed privately, Kingston, 1968.

2. The Kingston Whig Standard, December 2, 1949.

3. Our First Car Ride, Mabel Lloyd (1193), unpublished, circa 1960, copy given to Bill Anglin by Lawrence Lloyd (11931)