PART 4.4

The Fourth Generation

The Fourth Generation: William's (15) Grandchildren

William Gardiner Anglin (153) family
(back row, l to r) Douglas, William G., Wendling
(front row, l to r) Susie, Ruth, Harriet Eva, Mamie
photo 1923, at the Wolfe Island cottage of Dr W. G. Anglin


In the Earl Street home William Anglin (153) and his wife, Harriet, raised five children. The first, Mary 'Mamie' Richardson Anglin (1531), born in 1888, graduated from Queen's in 1915 and between 1919 and her retirement 32 years later was private secretary to a succession of three Principals at Queen's; Dr. R. Bruce Taylor, Sir William Hamilton Fyfe, and Dr. Robert C. Wallace.

In the book "Queen's Profiles"1, a presentation of profiles of fourteen key people at Queen's, 'Mamie' Anglin has her Queen's career outlined as follows:

"Secretary, confidant and adviser to three Queen's principals, and herself a second generation Queen's graduate, Mary R. Anglin retired on September 1, 1951 after nearly 33 years continuous service with the University. As a token group of the hundreds of graduates who regard her as a personal friend, and of the thousands who knew her less intimately but to whom she was the mouthpiece of the principal, thirty-three persons last June 22 honored her at a dinner in the La Salle Hotel, Kingston.

"Principal R. C. Wallace was chairman of this informal, happy gathering, and the guest-of-honour herself was radiant as she received the best wishes of her friends on the approaching commencement of her leisure after serving the University so faithfully and so efficiently. On this occasion Miss Anglin with smiling graciousness gave her maiden speech and charmed the group with her sincerity and eloquence that spoke a full heart. Miss Jean I. Royce, registrar, presented her with an inscribed gold watch and a cheque on behalf of her friends, while J. Alex. Edmison, assistant to the principal, in the unavoidable absence of Dr. W. W. McNeill, vice-principal emeritus, presented her with a specially-bound book containing letters of appreciation and regard from the three principals she had served, as well as numerous other letters and telegrams from friends in more distant places.

"'Mamie' Anglin, as she is known to her friends, was Kingston-born, her father being the late Dr. W. G. Anglin, a graduate in medicine from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons at Kingston in 1883, later Queen's Faculty of Medicine. For many years he was professor of clinical surgery at Queen's, and it was in this Queen's atmosphere that she was brought up. Her mother -- Harriett Eva Gould, also was a Kingstonian."

Principal Wallace, who retired in the same year, wrote2 that he

"... could not wish for anything better or happier than that the principal's office be protected and directed with the same devotion and wisdom and inviolacy [it enjoyed] under the ministries of Mamie Anglin."

In a speech3 to the Queen's Alumnae Association in London, Ontario on June 9, 1984 celebrating the one hundredth anniversary of women at Queen's, history professor Frederick W. Gibson said to the group,

"When I think of leading administrative officers of the university, I recall with special appreciation and admiration Mary Anglin, Jean Royce and Kathleen Healey. As secretary to Principals Taylor, Fyfe and Wallace, Miss Anglin conducted the whole routine business of the principal's office for 30 years and did so with an efficiency and a serenity which greatly eased the path of three hard-pressed Principals."

She was very close to her brother Douglas' two daughters. A wartime letter4 to her from her younger brother, Wendling, refers to a mutual friend, part of a bomber crew,

"It was sweet of you to send Bill a package. I am sure he will appreciate it. Don't know whether Doug told you but he has been in two accidents, but as far as we know he is still safe. His pilot crashed in a duck pond, presume Bill meant English Channel, and wireless air gunner was killed. Then some WAAC stalled an auto on their runway one dark night, became panicky and beat it, leaving the truck in centre of bomber's runway - which resulted in a smash up for the truck, bomber only scratched. So you see we are anxious about him all time."

The second was another daughter, Susie Claire Anglin (1532), born in 1889, and married in 1915 to McLaren Ewart, also born in 1889. He graduated with a B.Sc., Civil, 1910. They were living in the West, for a time in Medicine Hat and later in Moose Jaw. They had four children and seven grandchildren.

Douglas Anglin (1533), 1890 - 1955

Then came Dr. W.G.'s first son, Douglas Gould Anglin (1533), born in Kingston in 1890, attended local Kingston schools, obtained a B.Sc in mining from Queen's in 1911 and in civil engineering in 1912, married Doris Isabel Kent in January, 1916.

"In the same year he joined the Royal Canadian Field Artillery with the rank of Lieutenant5, having previously served as a member of the militia at Queen's. He went overseas to London and then on to the front in France the same year. His wife Doris went with him and stayed in London for at least part of his active service. Their first daughter, Pamela Isabel Anglin, was born in London on November 21, 1916. Douglas continued to serve in Europe until 1919 rising to the rank of Major before his return to Canada and to civilian life.

"Douglas had some difficulty in starting his career in engineering immediately after his active service, but did catch on with an Ottawa based firm and was involved in projects near Winnipeg, Manitoba, related to the flood abatement works being built to deal with the annual flooding of the Red and Assiniboine Rivers. In the early 1920s, Douglas was hired by the firm of Anglin-Norcross in Montreal, the Anglin being J. Penrose Anglin [1245], a relative through one of the other Anglin family lines. Douglas and Doris' second daughter Doris Harriet Anglin, was born in Kingston on August 16, 1922. . .

"Sadly, Doris Isable Kent, became severely ill with pneumonia and died in 1925 after only five days. From 1925 until her marriage in 1929, Aunt Ruth Anglin lived with the family and helped to care for Doris and Pam. Douglas married Helen Grace Fowler, from Ottawa in 1929 . . .

"Douglas worked for Anglin-Norcross for a number of years and was involved in many projects including the constructioin of the Supreme Court of Canada building in Ottawa, Douglas Library at Queen's, the Dupont plant and the Alcan plant in Kingston. Later, Douglas formed a new company Ross-Anglin and served as its President and Managing Director. The company offices were at 4400 St. Catherines Street West [Montreal]. He died in 1955 and is buried at the Cataraqui Cemetery in Kingston in the Anglin plot. Doris Isabel Kent, having died thirty years earlier, was buried at Cataraqui Cemetery in the Kent plot with her parents."6

Wendling and Josephine Anglin (1534)
and sons, Bill and Tom
photo 1940

Then came William Wendling Anglin (1534), born in 1892, who married, in 1915, Josephine Eveline Sherron, born in 1893.

In 1925 Wendling opened up and operated a brokerage office in Kingston. In 1930, during the depression days, he gave up the Kingston office to take over the Toronto office. Business was too poor to carry on and that office, too, had to be closed. He was then transferred to the Montreal office of Johnston and Ward, becoming its manager. The company later became Leslie and Company, and, ultimately, Nesbitt and Thompson.

Wendling Anglin (1534), 1892 - 1955

Wendling died of lung cancer in 1955. He and his older brother, Douglas, were very close friends. When Wendling was dying of lung cancer, Doug was most upset but appeared to be in good health. The worry and upset about his brother's health may have been a factor in his death, less than two months before Wendling's death.

Ruth (Anglin) Horsey (1535), 1895 - 1976

The youngest child of Dr. W.G. was a third daughter, Ruth Anglin (1535), born in 1895. She grew up in Kingston, the youngest of five children. As a young woman, in her early twenties during the First World War, she lost several close friends during the War and filled her time by teaching piano for a time and helping her father in his surgery at his Earl St home in Kingston. She followed this by going to Montreal, where her two brothers Douglas and Wendling were already living, to take her RN at The Royal Victoria Hospital. Following the death from pneumonia of Doug's first wife, Doris, in 1925, Ruth looked after his two daughters, Pam and Doris.

Richard Horsey (1535), 1900 - 1976

It was at this time that Ruth met Richard Mounstephen Horsey, whom she married on September 16, 1929. He was the son of an Anglican minister, Rev Canon Herbert Horsey, whose parents were also from Kingston. However, Richard was born in Abbotsford in the Eastern Townships and then lived in Montreal where he obtained a Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical) from McGill University in 1923.

The oldest son of James Vickers Anglin (154) and Clara was William Arthur Ives Anglin, O.B.E. (1541), born in Montreal in 1893. He studied architecture and engineering at McGill University after graduation from St John High School in Saint John, N.B.

Arthur Anglin (1541), 1893 - 1974

During the First World War he served overseas with the Canadian Artillery5, won the Military Cross for gallantry in action at Amiens and began a lifelong association and friendship with General A.G.L. McNaughton.

In 1919 he studied town planning at the University of London before returning to North America to study at Harvard. He obtained a bachelor of arts degree from Harvard College, specializing in civic government and school administration and later lecturing there for three years in those subjects while obtaining his law degree from Harvard Law School. He graduated in 1923, having specialized in public utilities and other branches of administrative law, about which he prepared a textbook later used at the University of Toronto.

On the outbreak of the Second World War he went overseas as a staff officer with the First Canadian Division. He became deputy judge advocate-general in London with the rank of brigadier, being invested by King George VI as a member of the Order of the British Empire at a wartime ceremony in Buckingham Palace.

In 1948 Judge Anglin was appointed to the trial division (Queen's Bench) and Divorce Court of the New Brunswick Supreme Court and remained on the bench until his retirement in 1968 at the age of 75.

He was for some years chairman of the Saint John Board of School Trustees and held executive positions with many groups, including the N. B. Protestant Orphan's Home, the Red Cross, the Family Welfare Association, the Boy Scouts, the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and the N.B. and Dominion commands of the Royal Canadian Legion. He was a member of the United Church of Canada.

On June 2, 1925 he married Emma Catherine McAvity of Saint John, who died in November, 1957.

Gerald Anglin (1542), 1894 - 1987

The second son, Gerald Gardiner Anglin (1542), was born in Montreal in 1894 and moved with his family to Saint John, N.B. in 1905 when his father was appointed head of the Provincial Mental Hospital.

He was educated at Mount Allison University and received his law degree from McGill, after which he became part of the law firm of Barnhill, Sanford, Harrison and Anglin.

He served overseas in the First World War5, rising to the rank of major. He served at Vimy Ridge and was seriously wounded at Passchendaele, receiving the Military Cross and Bar. In the Second World War he became a brigadier and was the district officer commanding Military District No. 7, receiving the Commander of the Order of the British Empire.

In addition to serving in both world wars, he was a president and general manager of Eastern Bakeries Ltd, and a founding member of the Atlantic Provinces Economic Council. He was also a past president of the Saint John Board of Trade, a member of the Riverside Country Club and the Union Club.

In 1926 he married Doreen McAvity, who died in 1978.

Their third son, George Lyman Anglin (1543), was born in 1896. He enlisted from Mt. Allison University with the 64th Battalion, C.E.F.5 He sailed for England from Halifax in May, 1915 aboard the SS Adriatic. Once in England he was transferred to the 40th Reserve Battalion and then, in July 1916 joined the 21st Battalion, which was raised and trained in Kingston and which was already in France as part of Canada's 2nd Divison. He was killed in action at Vimy Ridge on April 9, 1917 at the age of 21.

SS Adriatic

His name is listed on the website of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission7 and, he is one of the victims of the Second World War who is remembered in the Mount Allison Memorial Library building.8 The 21st Battalion returned to Kingston on September 24, 1919 and was disbanded at that time.

Research provided by Al Lloyd, 21st Battalion Historian/Webmaster, into George's background gives some of the important dates in his tragically shortened life, ended at 21 years. The material is available on the 21st Battalion website.9

The fourth son, Ives Maurice Anglin (1544) was born in 1898. He took a distinguished course at McGill, obtaining an M.D. and died of cancer in 1926, shortly after taking over a family practice in Waterloo, Quebec

Norman Anglin (1545) and daughter Elizabeth
photo 1946


The fifth and last, Norman Buckley Anglin (1545), born in Saint John in 1908, married Dorothy Marie Stewart (also born in 1908) in 1945. They made their home in Rothesay, N.B.

He graduated from high school in 1926 and accepted a position with a New Brunswick investment dealer and for the next 60 years worked as an investment dealer in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia where he headed the investment firm of Anglin, Bell & Co., Saint John, retiring in 1986.

In 1988, two years after Dorothy's death, he made the difficult decision to sell his home and move to Ontario to be near his only child, Elizabeth, who lives with her husband and family in Lakefield, near Peterborough.

After a difficult adjustment to a complete change in lifestyle, the loss of lifelong friends, the need to get around with the help of an electric scooter as a result of arthritis, and the move to a seniors' retirement home in Peterborough, Norman now approaches life with excitement and enthusiasm in the Empress Gardens Retirement Residence in Peterborough.

The Fourth Generation: William's (21) Grandchildren

John Anglin (214) and Mary Jane had eight children. The two oldest sons, Willie (2142) and Sydney (2144), steamed from Ireland for Canada in October, 1903. They stayed briefly with Aunt Minnie and 'R.D.' Anglin (215) in Montreal.

[The University of Massachusetts Amherst, Libraries Special Collections & University Archives hosts a collection called Anglin Family Papers, 1874-195510 which documents some of the history of John amd Mary Jane Anglin and their eight children, seven of whom emigrated to Canada and the United States beginning in 1903 with brothers Will and Sydney coming to Canada. The papers in this collection outline a significant portion of the history of this family. Included in the Notes (below) is a copy of a 2013 report11 about Crawford and George Anglin, based on the collection and written by Eric Bosco, a history and journalism major at The University of Massachusetts Amherst.]

Willie, Sydney, George, and the youngest brother Crawford all returned to visit Ireland at various times before the (First) World War.

Ethel (2141), who taught Household Economics in Toronto, and Gladys (2148) also moved to Canada.

Therefore, not counting Walter who died in infancy, all seven children left their parents in Ireland, embarking for new lives in the 'New World'. When they left, their parents did not know if they would ever see them again.

William Anglin (2142), came to Canada from Ireland in 1903, graduated in Theology from Queen's University in 1908, then went on in his study of theology at Glasgow University (1909-1910) and in Halifax. He assumed pastoral duties as a United Church minister in Windsor, then in various other locations in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick and later in Ottawa, where he died in 1956. While in the Maritimes he met and, in 1916, married Alice Ethel Wathen who was born in Harcourt, NB.

Ida (Anglin) Jackson (2143)
photo July, 1955


In 1912, Ida (2143) and her new husband, David Jackson, whom she had married in January, were booked to sail on the maiden voyage of the impressive new steamship, the Titanic. Fortunately for them the ship was overbooked and they were bumped from the passenger roster. They had their honeymoon travelling to the United States and settled in Boston.

Sydney Anglin (2144) prospered in sales for a meat packing firm which later became Canada Packers.

He returned to Ireland four years later and the next son, George (2146), crossed the ocean to Toronto with him on his return. Sydney loaned George funds for medical school at the University of Toronto.

New to this city, George had never seen a grapefruit before. He told how he peeled it to eat like an orange until it was explained to him that that was not the way to eat a grapefruit.

George Anglin (2146), 1890 - 1948
photo circa 1916


George Anglin (2146) graduated in medicine in 1914, the degree then being M.B. He had reserved space on the Empress of Ireland for the end of May that year. It collided with a coal carrier in heavy fog on this trip and sank in fourteen minutes. More than a thousand people drowned. More passengers drowned from this ship than from the Titanic two years earlier. However, Sydney, who had loaned him his tuition fees, was insistent that George should stay and attend his own graduation ceremonies, so his sailing date was changed. Thus, both a brother and sister of the same family missed sailing across the Atlantic on two ill-fated steamships.

George joined the British infantry soon after the outbreak of the war. As an Irishman, he had to put up with a lot of derision, due to the Sinn Fein rebellion. He served on the continent, including in the Battle of the Somme. In 1917, he was recovering from flu at a field hospital when a call came for all available medical personnel for a battle. In spite of his illness, he went to the Front, but collapsed in a coma. Out in rainy weather, he was found in a culvert, days later, as they were searching for bodies. He was then left outside the tents needed for the many seriously wounded. Decisions were made on a triage basis; possibly he wasn't expected to live in any case. He caught pneumonia and pleurisy and was invalided back to England and then to Canada. He also developed tuberculosis.

On his return to Canada he became a specialist in chest medicine at a veterans' hospital and in private practice in Toronto.

He married Dr Ruth Cale in 1920. She had graduated in arts as well as medicine. After ten years of springtime examinations, she disliked springs for the rest of her life. She had taught in Saskatchewan in 1909. Her school was 22 miles north of the railway at a pioneer community. The wind whistled through the large knotholes of her two-room shack as the temperature dropped as low as -40. The water in the pitcher froze regularly.

She got her medical degree in 1916. Fred Banting, who discovered insulin, and Norman Bethune, who became a medical hero to the Chinese, though not one of her favourites, were classmates of hers.

She worked at the Hamilton Sanatorium, where she encountered many veterans with miserable results from gassing. Before marriage, Ruth and George had exchanged jobs between there and Muskoka Sanatorium. She was very active in the church, both locally and nationally. Quoting from her death notice12 in the Toronto Star:

"Her husband, the late Dr. George Anglin, was also a chest specialist, which meant both dealt primarily with tuberculosis, pneumonia and pleurisy. She also treated soldiers returning from World War I with lung damage from gas attacks. She hadn't practised medicine since World War II when she helped in her husband's practice because doctors were in short supply."

John Crawford Anglin (2147) came to Canada in 1909 and got work in the same company as Sydney in Toronto and later in Winnipeg, but studied to be a Methodist minister in Alberta. Once, after 27 miles by horse, there were only two in his congregation. At his previous location, there had been a mine explosion that had killed 196 miners. In one family, a husband and four sons had died.

John Crawford Anglin (2147), 1892 - 1916
WWI photo circa 1916


In October, 1915, he left Edmonton College. "I have decided to give up college life for a year or two in order to join the 4th Canadian University Overseas company."5 Later, he served with the PPCLI, (Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry). He arrived in France in March, 1916.

Soon after, in June of that year, he was killed in no-man's-land during a great battle at Ypres, over the border in Belgium, at age twenty-four. At No. 11 Canadian General Hospital, a patient belonging to the Princess Pats reported the following:

"There was a time when I hadn't much use for preacher chaps, but that's all changed now. Out there in France there were a few of them with us, and they proved game to the end. One of them - a big, fair chap named Jack Anglin - saved my life.

"This is how it happened. We were expecting a big show in the morning, and I was sent out to do some wiring. Fritz threw up some star shells and spotted us, and I got hit in the thigh and was rendered helpless. I lay out there in no-man's-land, in horrible pain. There was the parapet, only a few yards off, and there was no way I could get to it or get help, so I could only lie and groan.

"Then I was dimly conscious that someone was bending over me, was picking me up and stumbling forward with me towards our trenches. More star shells went up, and machine gun bullets were buzzing all around us.

"When I was in a conscious condition again I was told that Anglin was shot in his effort to save me and that his moments were numbered. They took me to him. 'Jack', I said, with my hand in his, 'you've saved my life, and it has cost you your own.'

"'Oh, that does not make any difference, old man, so long as you live. Perhaps you'll be spared to live for us both.' I made up my mind that day to live to be worthy of the sacrifice that Anglin made for me."

[Note: That he died saving a comrade is confirmed by another report. He knew the other man was married. However, there are some problems with the conversations reported at the end of this story, because the official certificate declares him "missing in action between June 2nd and 4th, 1916." This often meant buried, alive or dead, by a shell explosion, drowned slipping into a water-filled shell hole, or suffocated in a mud-filled trench. Others were blown up or simply were not identifiable. He could certainly have been called a 'preacher', but was not a padre.]

Three months before he was killed, he wrote the following lines:

Lord, ere I join the deadly strife,
And battles' terrors dare,
First would I render soul and life
To Thine almighty care;
And when grim death, in smoke wreaths robed,
Comes thundering o'er the scene,
What fears can reach a soldier's heart
Whose trust in Thee has been?

On a large monument in the Ypres area, the names, including his, of 55,000 soldiers from the British Commonwealth who were missing in Belgium, are engraved. His name is listed on the website of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.7

David Anglin (411211) provided information about his grandmother Mary Jane 'JENNIE' Anglin (4112). She was born in 1886, the second child of James Anglin and Ellen Hutchinson. She had a son, Jack, David's father, born out of wedlock in March 1907 in Dublin, who was given up for adoption. She was sent by her family to the USA aboard the 'Adriatic'13 from Queenstown, on September 21, 1908, arriving at Ellis Island, New York on October 1, and staying for some time after this with her older brother, Frank (4111), in Fort Wayne, IN. The record of Jack's family, as provided by his son, David, is included as a part of Jennie's descendants' list.

Jennie, after her arrival in the USA, married Herman Askin about 1910 in Pennsylvania and had three children over the next five years. According to the US Census of 1920 for Cumberland County, PA he was a clerk in a Gas Office.

Samuel Anglin (4116), 1894-1944 and Eva (Askin) Anglin, 1898-1944
photo, 1919


Information from his granddaughter, LuAnn Ferguson (411623), indicates that Samuel Clarke Anglin (4116), the sixth of seven children of James Anglin and Ellen Hutchinson, was born in Baltimore, County Cork, Ireland. His father, James (411), was a chandler, dealing in supplies and equipment for the boating/fishing trade, while his mother ran the Post Office and general store in Baltimore. Samuel left home at 14 and went to school in Dublin to become an electrician, before emigrating to the USA at the age of 18. He left Queenstown, Ireland on the 'Oceanic'14 with his sister Sarah Ann15 (4113), who later returned to Ireland, and arrived at Ellis Island on July 16, 1913. Before marrying in 1919 it appears that he spent some time with his older brother, Robert (4111), in Fort Wayne, Indiana as well as in Deer Lodge, Montana, where he enlisted in the Army on September 23, 1917 and served in WW1. He was discharged from the army September 25, 1919 and married Eva Askin in Fort Wayne on December 28, 1919. He and his wife settled in and around Cumberland County, Pennsylvania where he worked in the steel mills and she was a teacher.

SS Oceanic

Sam and Eva were divorced in August, 1943, just a few weeks after the death of their son, Samuel, whose plane was shot down while he was flying war supplies for PanAm Airlines, and just 7 months before her death from heart problems in March of 1944. Samuel died thirteen years later, in May of 1957, from Hodgkin's Disease.

[previous] ----- [next]


1. Queen's Profiles, David G. Dewar, B.A., B.S.W., published by The Office of Endowment and Public Relations of Queen's University, 1951.

2. Mamie Anglin: The Principals' Perfect Secretary, Queen's Alumni Review, Jan-Feb, 1980.

3. Women at Queen's: The First Century, Queen's Alumni Review, Sep-Oct, 1984.

4. A fax copy of the original letter, dated December 7, 1942 from Wendling Anglin (1534) to his older sister, Mamie (1531) was sent to Bill Anglin by Wendling's grand daughter, Sherron in February, 2000.

5. His enlistment papers are viewable at the Library and Archives Canada website listing the "Soldiers of the First World War".

6. pps 60-62, Anglin-Stewart Family History, self-published by Douglas C. Stewart, 2004

7. Reference website: The Commonwealth War Graves Commission

8. Reference website: Mount Allison Honour Roll

9. Research obtained from Al Lloyd, 21st Battalion HIstorian/Webmaster, of George's service with the Canadian Forces in WWI is available at George Lyman Anglin.

10. Anglin Family Papers, 1874-1955 from The University of Massachusetts Amherst, Libraries Special Collections & University Archives.

11. April 2013 report by Eric Bosco, history and journalism student at The University of Massachusetts Amherst. A reprint of his report is available at Eric Bosco report, 2013

12. The Toronto Star, August 28, 1983.

13. view the Ellis Island Passenger Record of her arrival: 'Adriatic' Passenger Record

14. view the Ellis Island Passenger Record of his arrival: 'Oceanic' Passenger Record

15. view the Ellis Island Passenger Record of her arrival: 'Oceanic' Passenger Record