How do you say rain in Scottish?
5. Smirr. A Scottish word to describe a fine, drifting rain or drizzle. A smirr (or smur in parts of England) is so light it seems like a mist or smoke.
What is the Scottish word for storm?
Scottish Word: Dreich.
What is the Scottish word for my darling?
Acushla comes from the Irish Gaelic cuisle, which can mean “darling” but more literally means “pulse” or “vein.” It’s an adaptation of the Irish Gaelic a cuisle (“oh darling”). Cuisle was sometimes also paired with ma to give us macushla (“my darling”), as well as our next term of endearment….
What are the 421 Scottish words for snow?
Scots ‘have 421 words’ for snow
- feefle – to swirl.
- flindrikin – a slight snow shower.
- snaw-pouther – fine driving snow.
- spitters – small drops or flakes of wind-driven rain or snow.
- unbrak – the beginning of a thaw.
How do you say white in Celtic?
Seo fichead dath brèagha.
Why do Scots say bairn?
Derived from the Old English word bearn, meaning child or descendent, bairn has its roots in Old Saxon and Old High German, and is used in some parts of North East England and Yorkshire as well as eastern Scotland. … Bairn remains part of Scottish culture thanks to a famous Scottish family – The Broons.
What does bra mean in Scottish?
1 chiefly Scotland : good, fine.
What does Drookit mean in Scottish?
Drookit – extremely wet / absolutely drenched.
What do Scottish people call a creek?
In local usage, a burn is a kind of watercourse. The term applies to a large stream or a small river. The word is used in Scotland and England (especially North East England) and in parts of Ulster, Australia and New Zealand.
What is a Crabbit?
What is Dreich in Scottish?
“Dreich” – meaning dull or gloomy – topped a poll to mark Book Week Scotland, led by the Scottish Book Trust. It beat off contenders including “glaikit”, “scunnered” and “shoogle”. The charity said the first recorded use of the word “dreich” was in 1420, when it originally meant “enduring” or “slow, tedious”.
How do you say babe in Scottish?
- leanabh. noun. en baby or infant. +2 definitions. en.wiktionary.org.
- pàisde. noun. en baby or infant. +2 definitions. en.wiktionary.org.
- leanaban. noun. en baby or infant. +2 definitions. en.wiktionary.org.
How do you say beautiful in Scottish?
Bonnie. Female | A quintessential Scottish name that will never go out of fashion, Bonnie is the Scots word for beautiful, pretty, stunning and attractive.